So long and thanks for all the fish!

9/15/2010 06:42:00 pm BenefitScroungingScum 4 Comments




The BendyBus is coming! Well...it was coming, now it's being recharged in it's BendyBusBed after a sulk of such mammoth proportions it stopped working altogether. In the rain. Bad BendyBus. Fortunately a nice man called Richard stopped to see if I needed help and pushed me and BendyBus all the way home. In the rain. It's the Big Society in action, I'm tellin' ya. Dave 'the rave' Cameron would be well proud. Even if the BendyBus would need to apply for Incapacity Benefit. Innit.


It was all going so well yesterday. BendyBus had been charged overnight in it's own cosy little bedroom, the sun was shining and the sky briefly blue. Off I went on BendyBus with thoughts of a blue faced Mel Gibson yelling "Freedom" running through my mind. It totally was too. Freedom I mean. At I crashed up and down kerbs on BendyBus I realised it's been years since I've been able to go anywhere alone that didn't have parking within a few meters of the entrance. Living in small town land makes that kind of thing easier than in a city, but it's still seriously limiting. The fish in my GP's practice are nice an' all that, but being able to go and see them on my own does not make up for, well, everything else. They are just fish and probably no more impressed with the BendyBus than BendyCat is. Although, she totally will be once I introduce the concept of BendyCat Basket Busing to her. 

At this point I'm not sure whether BendyBus is just a drama queen when it comes to weather conditions or if it's something more serious, I plan to consult the local mechanics once the weather improves. And get breakdown insurance. Richard was so kind to push me home, but did look rather red in the face once we were back-I can't bear the thought of someone having a heart attack while pushing me and BendyBus-it'd mean I'd feel responsible for filling out their ESA forms! 







4 comments:

Wacky Lisa said...

You'll want to keep a plastic bag over the joy box or control box while driving in the rain. :)
At least, they didn't used to be fully waterproof.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely man! I've been feeling very depressed about how the general public view us "scroungers" and it makes me so happy to hear about the random kindness of strangers like Richard. I hope he gets a big Karmic reward.

The freedom is wonderful isn't it? My chair saved what little sanity I have!!
Usually the recommendation is that you shouldn't take chairs/scooters out in the rain but I've never had any problems with my chair, even in the snow, so you might want to get it checked out.
What a lovely man to come and rescue you.

P.S. A friend directed me to your blog, hope you don't mind.

Fire Byrd said...

What you need is one of those noisey claxon horns now to warn the world of your approach!
xx